From:
Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 17:28:58 +0100
Dear Kim:

One of the strands in the development of history dioramas in museums is
thought to have been the original displays in the Deutsches Museum,
Munich, of about 120 years ago.  The Founder-Director wanted to present
realistic models of technological developments through the ages and hit
on the idea of hiring local Bavarian wood-carvers, who had a 500+ year
tradition of carving religious scenes. such as Nativities, Crucifixions
etc. in three-dimensions and from the 16th century or even earlier in
perspective also.  The Museum's web site used to have quite a big section
on the the story - I presume its still there.

Specifically in relation to military dioramas and models there is the
famous Battle of Waterloo model, now in the National Army Museum, London.

You should be able to fine the web sites etc. of both museums on the
Virtual Library Museum Pages: http://www.icom.org/vlmp/

Patrick Boylan

P.S. Some references may lead you in quite the wrong direction. Up to the
early 19th century "diorama" had a very different meaning - a sort of
"live" camera lucida projection into a darkened viewing room of a 360
degree panorama of the view outside the building. There were famous ones
in Regent's Park, London, and in Edinburgh.

On Sun, 5 Aug 2001, Kim Bonser wrote:

> I am researching a thesis on military dioramas at Australian War Memorial and am looking for precedents (?18th/19th / 20th c)in other parts of the world.  Not had much luck with the on-line museum collection sites; have found links to splendid natural h
istory dioramas but little related to humans and historical events.  My personal e-mail is [log in to unmask]  I'd be happy to receive any tips/clues.  Thanks, Kim.