From:
Marv Bolt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 12:25:59 -0600
Queen was born in 1815, and is listed as an optician first in 1839. I have
an address for James W Queen: 924 Chestnut St., Philadelphia. Queen worked
with Samuel L. Fox under the Queen and Co. rubric from 1861 until 1870,
when Queen retired.  Thus the Queen[sic] and Co. telescope dates from the
1860s if it was actually made by Queen, though the company name was used
until 1893 by W. & L.E. Gurley. There was (and maybe still is) a telescope
by this company at the Chicago Historical Society, and another one in the
Gurley Museum (Troy, NY??).

As most people on this list know, it is not a good idea [in more plain
English, it's a bad idea] to take apart an old instrument, including a
telescope, unless you really know what you're doing. Taking apart the
optics is a really bad idea and an even worse act. I realize I'm preaching
to the choir, but the more we can impress on people not to "clean" or
"fix" or disassemble historical objects, the better off we (and the
objects) are.

Cheers,

 Marvin Bolt, Ph. D.
 Associate Curator, History of Astronomy Department
 Adler Planetarium & Astronomy Museum
 1300 South Lake Shore Drive
 Chicago, IL 60605
 Voice:   (312) 322-0594