From:
Roy Hemmat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 18:54:17 -0700
Mr. Maurer queried:

>I am wondering if there is a term for an entirely wrong statement of fact or
>wild exaggeration. A statement that certainly should have been caught by the
>director, educator or whoever is in charge of guide or docent training.
>Have you experienced this as a common thing in historic houses and the
>telling of the history? There must be a term stronger than "silly docent
>tales."

Segueing somewhat from this specific phenomenon (which I imagine is
quite common) .. didn't Chomsky coin (or popularize) the term
"manufactured history"? If not .. well mayby I just did ;)

I also recently heard of a new book that explored some of history's
"great truths", revealing many of our most cherished to be the
prodigal offspring of tall tales and hearsay.  Politically inspired
propoganda, etc etc. And no, I'm not thinking of Howard Zinn. ...
Wouldn't it be dandy if I could RECALL the title/author? No such
luck. (Which is in iteself a demonstration of how "truths" begin.
Hmm.)

Along similar skewed lines .. here's one for you Bill ..
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/

Roy Hemmat
http://www.museumstuff.com