From:
Shirley S Albright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 10:06:30 -0500
Lucille,

Photographic services for the collections here are arranged through a variety of means depending upon the purpose of the photography.   Since you seem to be interested in contractual photographic services, I'll address some of the issues we have had to deal with through the years:
1.  The only instances in which a collection object physically leaves the museum to be photographed are those requiring specialized services, such as scanning electron microscopy, fluorescence etc. because we do not own that equipment.    Sometimes special preparation of specimens
is required.  If that is the case, all procedures must be approved in advance AND the processes clearly documented in the object file.
2.  Photographers vary greatly with respect to experience.   A photographer who specializes in fine art may not produce images appropriate for scientific documentation unless instructed.    Communication is important, and sometimes the researcher or requesting staff member should be
on hand to explain just what they want.
3.  Make sure you work out in advance the copyright issues related to the print and the negative.   We had a situation once where museum objects were photographed by a person who held the negative in perpetuity.   Everytime we needed a print we were at the mercy of his pricing
structure and his time line etc.
4.  It would be great if every institution had a professional photographer on its staff, but that's "pie in the sky" for many of us.
5.  No, funding for such services is not easily found within our general budget.   Collection photography is usually performed as required - for an exhibition, a research project, a teaching program - with money requested from a supporting  "friends" group, corporate sponsor, or
grant.
6.  If the object is photographed in the museum, it is often difficult to find appropriate space to set up the picture (this is a problem both for the museum staff AND the photographer who I am certain would prefer working in a familiar studio with the equipment of his/her trade).
7.  Most staff members overestimate their ability to take good collection object photographs.  Let's face it:  it's hard enough just keeping up with one's subject matter without becoming a technical expert on lighting, photography etc.    I'd rather leave it to the experts.
8.  Are photographers needed?  Most definitely.  In my opinion (not necessarily the opinion of this museum's funding agency or management), photographic services are as indispensible as curators, janitors, security officers, graphics personnel etc. and should be a staff position
(with a budget).   This would immediately minimize some of the issues I've already touched on.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Shirley Albright
New Jersey State Museum