From:
Jerrie Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Apr 2001 18:12:51 -0400
"How YOU will fit in with the existing one....."

The beginning of Indigo's post gives the reason I've been toying with the
idea of offering to answer questions from potential applicants for the
curator job at the Valdez Museum (job announcement is below in case you
didn't see it before).  I keep talking myself out of it because I'm not sure
it's really proper, but I'm sure it would be helpful.  As the 15-year-old
museum's first trained collection manager, I've put a lot of heart, soul,
and sweat in the last few years into developing a professional collections
program.  I'm taking advantage of an opportunity I couldn't refuse, and I
would like to help make sure the program doesn't suffer from my leaving
(that's guilt not ego speaking).  Any interested persons can e-mail me.  If
you are interested in applying, write to Ms. Gregory.

Jerrie

Jerrie Clarke
soon to be former
Curator of Collections & Exhibits
Valdez Museum
http://www.alaska.net/~vldzmuse/index.html

>From: Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Interviews and interviewing  - was Museum Education?
>Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 11:02:23 -0700
>
>Very true, Audra, and glad you included that.  That's
>the variable that most cannot anticipate.  Unless you
>know the work group to which they are attempting to
>attach (or not attach) you, there are some real
>variables that rarely get discussed.  How YOU will fit
>in with the existing one is one of those that is often
>the big secret and something you cannot begin to
>anticipate unless you have insider knowledge.
>
>Another factor that doesn't often get addressed is
>your predecessor.  Something that may be factored into
>your hiring may be the personality of your predecessor
>and whether (s)he was liked by the group.

Curator of Collections & Exhibits for The Valdez Museum & Historical
Archive Association, Inc.

The Valdez Museum, located in Valdez, Alaska, is a local history museum
that serves Valdez, Prince William Sound, and the Copper River Valley.
This professional position has overall responsibility for the care,
condition, study, and organization of artifact and archival collections
and the overall responsibility for planning, creating and overseeing the
development and maintenance of permanent and temporary exhibits.  May
supervise part-time curatorial assistant, volunteers, and interns.
Qualifications:   B.A. in museum studies, American studies, history,
Native American studies, or related field.  Masters preferred.  Two
years experience in collections management and exhibits in  museum
setting.  Computer skills (MS Word, Pastperfect preferred).  Excellent
communication skills & demonstrated ability to relate to and communicate
with culturally diverse communities.  Excellent time and project
management skills.   The VMHA is an equal opportunity employer.
Full-time.  Competitive salary & benefits.
Closes April 6, 2001.
For full position description, contact the Museum at 835-2764 or email
at [log in to unmask]  PO Box 1540, Valdez, AK  99686.