From:
christophwe wise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 09:05:09 -0800
I'm curious about TW Moran's contention that museums
are the proprietors of our cultural history.  What do
you museum curators think?  (That might be redundant
given the participants in this discussion).  It has
always been my understanding that Museums are more or
less representatives of the public and therefore our
collective history.  Sure, an institution does have
goals to introduce new ideas and artifacts; but, since
these institutions also have the goal of attracting
viewers, a show that is too far out, not familiar
enough of a memory, to the public, nobody will come.

chris wise