From:
Susan Timberlake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2001 12:46:05 -0500
I would be interested in finding out about any answers you get. I work in a computer discover area, and finding a printer that is affordable, durable, and low-maintenance has been difficult.

An important thing to consider when you choose a color printer is the cost of maintenance. Color toner is very expensive. Most printer manufacturers estimate the price per page based on 5% coverage.  If you are using the printer primarily to print digital photos, your coverage will likely be 20% to 25%, which means your cost per page will be 4 to 5 times higher than the manufacturer says.  We also discovered with our printer that we had to use a much higher quality
paper than the recycled paper used in other printers throughout the building (not in exhibits) because otherwise there were frequent paper jams. This paper is probably about twice as expensive as the recycled paper.

Between the cost of the paper and toner, (and other "consumables" that some color lasers use) and the large number of pages printed, it looks like we may need to spend between 6,000 and 10,000 a year maintaining the printer. (We were using a Tektronix Phaser 740, and are now trying out an 850.)

You mentioned enclosing the camera so that visitors would not have to touch it.  The printer will need to be enclosed also, unless it is going to be staffed 100% of the time the exhibit it open. In our computer exhibit (which is always staffed) visitors, usually with the best of intentions, want to try to "fix" the printer when their job is not coming out as quickly as they expect.  However, staff will need a quick and easy way  to open the enclosure to clear out the
inevitable paper jams

Also, will you have any controls to ensure that a single visitor doesn't print a dozen, or a hundred even, pictures of themselves?