From:
Andrew Renaut <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 10:04:48 +1000
Hi Karen,

I spent almost three months in India earlier this year (January - March). It
is a fantastic place. There have been huge changes since I last went there
in the mid 80's. Some basic things to remember - with the huge increase in
the middle classes there is now terrible traffic. Everyone it seems has
either a micro car (600-800cc Suzuki's, Daewoo's etc. ) or scooters (Old
Italian types) It can take hours to get anywhere because a: there is so much
traffic, b: traffic is slow by our standards (our Suzuki van had a top seep
of 60Kmh about 35 Mph down hill with a tail wind!!!) and c: there are an
incredible number of crashes (So expect to see lots of dead bodies - sorry
no exaggeration). The air in Delhi is really really disgusting - visibillity
10-20 yards. You will need warm clothes as it is quite cool and foggy at
night at this time of year. Watch out for the guys who throw shit on your
shoes, then offer to do a shoe shine!!! Having said that once out of Delhi
(allow up to 6 hours) the road south to the Taj is pretty good. The Taj is
spectacular to view (allow a few hours and the fee for Westerners is about
10 times what is was, so if your book is more than 12 months old multiply!.
The train is a far better proposition, but I think it still takes four or
five hours (You can get a peddle rickshaw from the station -.but the driver
will inevitably want to take you to his Uncles craft shop on the way back.
So be firm but fair and tip a little extra) To give you some idea of travel
times it was a 3 day trip from Delhi to where we were filming in Shivpuri in
Central India half way between Delhi and Bombay. Be really really careful of
food and make sure the water bottles are properly sealed (they refill the
bottles from the taps and god knows where else) I was sick (very sick) on
the way back to Delhi to catch the plane back after eating plain boiled rice
in the most expensive hotel in Gwalia. So price is no guide. Most
international flights arrive/leave at 3am so take the advice in the Lonely
Planet book about the Taxi Wallahs, it is the most disorientating airport
I've been in. Finally don't attempt to take batteries in your hand luggage
on the way out (they think they are bombs) they will confiscate them. Above
all be very careful at all times. It's always like down town New York or
London at rush hour. Like everywhere 99% of people are nice its the 1% you
have to watch. Rather, than bore everyone else on the list and I know I
haven't mentioned any museums, I would be happy to chat further off list.
Contact me at:

Andrew Renaut MA