Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 07:38:47 -0500
I am involved in a volunteer project and would like to hear from list
members who may have relevant knowledge and experience to share.

The owners of a small (1500+ objects) private collection of rare books and
artifacts have asked me to help them research the possibility of making
images and information about their collection available to collectors,
scholars, and K-12 audiences via online exhibitions or CDs.  They have
contacted me not because I am a museum professional, but because I am a
historian with a strong interest in their collection.

This group (a private social club) operates a small museum that has been
maintained by volunteers for about 70 years.  (The collection was donated by
a former member.)  They admit visitors by appointment, but are not able to
make the collection open to the general public because of logistical and
zoning problems -- not to mention that this would require staff that they
don't have.  They most definitely do not want to donate their collection to
a public museum, for a couple of reasons -- they love it, for one, it's
quite valuable, and they don't want it to become part of an organization
that might make interpretation and use of this very specialized collection a
low priority.  I have suggested that they might organize small loan
exhibitions; they are cautiously considering how they might do that.

The collection currently generates no income at all, and in order to put
their plans into effect, the group is curious as to how to make it at least
partially self-sustaining.  They are making changes now to improve their
conservation and collection management systems -- installing approved
lighting, improving security, hiring consultants -- but would like to apply
for any available grants to support their "digital access" idea, or, failing
that, to form a 501(c)(3) non-profit entity that could accept tax-deductible
donations to pay for professional interpretation, development of educational
materials, and providing internet access.

Has anyone any experience with similar projects?  Should they look for some
kind of partnership with a public museum?  I've searched the Museum-L
archive and not found much that was relevant.  I'm planning a trip to the DC
Foundation Center library to see what I can find out about fundraising.  Any
suggestions?

Thanks.

Martha Hagood
Baltimore