From:
Sarah Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 16:42:33 -0500
I worked at a house museum a few years ago with an interesting approach.
All of the guides/docents were given blank postcards.  If someone asked a
question about something we didn't know and couldn't find quickly, we gave
them a card and asked them to fill it out at the end of the tour and drop it
in the box provided.  The curator would then answer them on the same card
(if space allowed) and mail it back to the visitor.

This was a bit hard on the curator, but she had interns who assisted with
these small research questions.  Most visitors were not interested enough to
actually fill out the card.  Those who were greatly appreciated the contact
with the curator.

Last but not least, docents were much less tempted to speculate and
extrapolate and the curator got a sense of what information was missing or
forgotten from training.

Sarah Andrews