From:
Dennis Kois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 09:31:28 -0500
Taking a quick look at the Museum Assoc. of NY 1999 salary survey (a wee bit
out of date, admittedly), it lists "Admissions Clerk" in the NY City Museums
section as having a median of $19,850 per year for full-time staff. That
works out to about $9-10 per hour. The survey doesn't address part-time
staff, though, and also doesn't address starting pay rates (what does an
admissions clerk at the Hall make after 1 or 2 years?). And the sample is
only 4 museums. I would predict, though, that there is no way most NYC
museums are paying part-timers near $9 an hour for admissions. I know our
institution isn't.

Also, I am sure I will be slammed for this, but while I agree they are very
important parts of visitor experience, I don't think paying admissions staff
more is necessarily going to improve either visitor service or lower staff
turnover. Admissions jobs are monotonous entry-level positions, and even if
you were paying $8.50 an hour your staff would still be leaving- for college,
summer camp, or for what are perceived as "cooler" jobs like working at
Banana Republic (where they get a clothing discount, to boot!). Perhaps
creating a way to shuttle your talented admissions staffers into other
slightly higher paying positions (admissions supervisor, or trainer, etc.)
might be a bigger enticement to stay than just paying more across the board.

Just my 2 cents. Also, as an aside, you might want to be careful about
publicly posting near-direct quotes of your Director's comments about
internal issues, which I'm sure he intends to be "off-the-record." I know you
kept his name out of it, but this is a big forum and you have to assume that
someone on Museum-L knows Alan Friedman personally or professionally... I
don't know how he'd react to having his comments publicly editorialized
without him knowing. Although for that matter, he used to subscribe to
Museum-L, so maybe he does know! :-)

Dennis
Dennis Kois
Assistant Manager of Design