From:
Michelle Levengood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 12:24:06 -0500
Jay-
    Here at the New York Hall of Science, we have adopted what we call a
Service Promise, not a charter so much as a simple one-sentence oath to both
our visitors and our co-workers. The Service Promise is this- "We promise
to provide our visitors with a welcoming, comfortable experience...and to
offer our staff the information and skills to deliver this promise."
    We then facilitate a mandatory Visitor Service Workshop that ALL staff-
frontline and office- must attend, to explain both our Mission Statement,
our Service Promise, and how they relate.  Also, the Workshop helps staff
understand what amenities we offer, how to give clear directions, how to
maintain our Zone of Influence, and how to deal with co-worker and visitor
conflicts, etc.
    So far we've found it to be a huge help in both serving our visitors, as
well as knowing more about the Hall, and also how to deal with those
sometimes sticky problems with co-workers.  Our Workshops are based on a
Program that was developed by the Museum of Science in Boston, who offer it
to other Museum professionals at a yearly conference.
    I hope this helps, even if it's not exactly what you were looking for...

                                                Michelle Levengood
                                                Admissions Supervisor
                                                New York Hall of Science