Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 13:26:17 -0500
On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 09:53:10 -0800, Ellen B. Cutler <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
>A great many docent programs are independent volunteer organizations that
>run themselves with little oversight from the institution.  The "teachers"
>more often than not in these situations tend to be the docents of longest
>standing and strongest personalities, not necessarily docents who truly
know their stuff.  Moreover, many of these docents tend to be donors and
>community honchos, and their pockets are more important to the
>administration than the educational work (or damage) they do.

Unfortunately I know all to well about this problem.  My local museum would
rather have "community honchos" lead tours than have someone such as myself
who has just completed an MA in Art History. I am struggling to gain
experience at this stage. I am willing to come and file for them (on a
Saturday!) just to be able to introduce myself.  They [the museum] are
claiming that they actually have too many docents. Please.

Needless to say I am having to look elsewhere and relocate to another state
because of this problem. I think its a shame.