From:
"bill.mulligan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 12:22:18 -0600
Luis-

I never said Loewen's book was accurate, reread my post.

What is useful (and important) about the book is that it looks at something we
(as a profession) almost entirely neglect -- state highway historical markers
-- and takes them seriously as a way people learn about history and also a way
in which society has defined the historically important.

Loewen has a strong ideological base for his critique -- and seems to have
chosen sites and signs that particularly offend him -- that makes the book fun
to read -- some of it really is ooutrageous. That leaves him open to critcism
by those who have a different ideological perspective, among others. Sorting
out the "truth" about the sites he discusses is what makes the book thought
provoking. It can be difficult to separate historical facts from ideology and
historical interpretation often reflects a particular point of view rather
than an objective reality. (I'd say more often than not, but that's probably
another thread for discussion.)

The book stimulated a lot of good discussion in the course I used it in and
some excellent student papers for an assignment to analyze and critique his
treatment of a site. Getting highway historical markers "right" it turns out
can be a tricky business and the book made me, and my students, think about
what we do, raised important issues, and formed the bsaasius for a lively and
productive discussion. That's a good book, or at least a useful one.

Bill Mulligan

William H. Mulligan, Jr.
Associate Professor of History
Director, Forrest C. Pogue Public History Institute
Murray State University
Murray KY 42071-3341
270/762-6571 Fax 270/762-6587