From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 13:11:10 -0600
Indigo wrote:

> We could do a whole discussion on what God looks like.
> Interestingly enough, and just an aside, those
> defending Giuliani's take on this have been men.

Did I defend Guliani?  NO!

The point of my message was (and remains) that politicians -- including
Guliani -- have the right to say what they want.  Similarly, artists
have the responsibility to say what they want.  Hanging something
controversial on the wall in silence is hardly the way of the
contemporary art scene.

It is a 'cop out' when others (not Indigo) wrote that artists are not
the best people to interpret their artwork.  It is quite insulting to
artists when someone wrote that artists are not competent to write down
their thoughts.  There are countless volumes with writings by artists
about their thoughts and theories . . . helpful in interpreting possible
meanings of their artwork.  [Note: Curators are, from my experience, not
so hot when it comes to writing about contemporary art and often base
their interpretations on what artists have said or written . . . so, why
don't artists's cut out the middle man?]

> You gentlemen may not be aware, but a lot of women in
> this world do believe God is a woman, and she laughs
> herself silly over many of huMANities foibles.

This whole issue is not about the outward appearance, sex or sexuality
of God . . . and you know better, Indigo!  LOL!  Youa re just trying to
be controversial, to be in the limelight.

[The rest of Indigo's thoughts about God's sex (male, female or neuter)
is wholly irrelevant to the issue of public funding and censorship.]

> The artist owes no one an explanation.  Art is art.
> It is created for a myriad of reasons and inspired by
> all manner of health and unhealth.
>
> It doesn't have to be justified.

"Justification."  That is interesting, considering that I wrote that
artists should take this as an opportunity to explain intentions.  Is
explainning intentions the same as justifying work?  Not according to my
dictionary.  (I note that Indigo is very good at putting words in
people's mouths.)  This is my last word on the subject . . . as any more
words will surely be mangled by Indigo.

Sincerely,
Jay Heuman