From:
Roger Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 12:38:18 +1300
Sophie wrote
<recently I was offered a position working in an art gallery which sells and
buys antiques. Although I find that it would make an interesting experience
for a while, I am afraid that it might put off prospective museum employers.
My experience has taught me that both worlds don't get along. Do you think
that accepting such an offer would endanger a career in museums? >

Sophie,  My advice is go for it!   As a Museum employer in the past, I would
not be put off employing you because of your work experience in the
commercial sector.  In fact, I might see it as a plus!  You will have to
operate within commercial constraints and practices and this is no bad
training in itself.

You are NOT flaunting any ethical considerations by working in the world of
antiques and there is far too much silliness in the perception (espoused by
a limited few) that one is somehow tainted by association.

I am sure other list members would join me in wishing you well in your
career choice.  It doesn't stop you having your resume out amongst the
profession ( see Global Museum's HOT JOB TIPS ) nor letting decision-makers
know that you would like to work in a museum in the future.

Roger

Read Global Museum - 77 countries, FREE online subscription, the very latest
in International News,
Views, Vacancies,Virtual Mall, Travel Service, Resources and more!
http://www.globalmuseum.org