From:
Amy Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 12:03:32 -0500
Hi-

I am a second year student at Cooperstown Graduate Program, and a long-time
"lurker" on this list. I have 2 requests concerning my thesis topic, which
is on membership programs in small museums.

First, I am looking for small museums (including historical societies,
historic houses, science and art museums) to interview about their
membership programs.  The questions concern membership programs in relation
to the institution's history, budgeting, and mission. I am not solely
interested in those organizations with a booming, vital membership program,
but also those who are faced with membership declines or are having trouble
maintaining their programs.  For the purpose of this research, a small
museum is one with 5 or fewer full-time paid staff OR an operating budget of
less than $500,000.  If you work in such an organization and would be
interested in participating in this research or if you know of an
institution that would be suitable, please contact me off-list. These phone
interviews typically last 45 minutes.

My second question concerns resources about museum membership programs.
Have any of you run across good articles or perhaps seen a speaker on
effective membership programs?  I have searched the conference proceedings
and publications of large organizations (AAM, AASLH, Chronicle of
Philanthropy, etc.) and some regional ones (NEMA, MAAM, etc.).  Some of the
best stuff I have found has been 4th generation photocopies from helpful
museum professionals, so I'm sure I may have missed some gems.
Incidentally, I would be glad to share my bibliography or any other
information concerning this topic.  Just  e-mail me off list.  Thanks in
advance for your help!

Amy Cunningham
Student
Cooperstown Graduate Program