From:
Theresa Hammond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:25:50 -0500
Dear Hank,

We have a biennial group faculty exhibition at Guilford College Art
Gallery. We have 3 fulltime and 3-5 part-time faculty. (I usually invite
all those who have taught since the previous show to participate.)  We have
one large enclosed main gallery, and six smaller open galleries (3 on each
floor). One year we tried giving each faculty member their own small
gallery, but those on the second floor felt like they were in the
hinterlands because the first floor has so much more traffic. Since then,
we've stuck with group shows in the main gallery.(I also insist on the
faculty helping to curate the show. I don't want any hard feelings or
bruised egos because someone didn't get the preferred front wall. They all
have to work it out together so that their art is presented in the best
manner.)

I try to vary the programming with the show each time; we've had individual
artist talks, group panel discussions, and outside speakers brought in to
discuss the work.

We also have large glass display cases next to the entrance of the main
gallery, and in the "off" years, I do a mini-faculty show in one of these
cases, featuring one work by each of them. Admission tour guides like to
point it out to prospective students & their parents, and I think it's
helpful for students to see what their professors do besides teaching.

Theresa N. Hammond
Director and Curator
Guilford College Art Gallery
5800 West Friendly Avenue