From:
"Ellen B. Cutler" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 14:01:36 -0800
Deb,

What a lovely friend you are!

Every church had a decorative program that was largely controlled by the
priest (bishop, abbot, whatever) who governed that particular church.  He
would have decided the general subjects for the primary windows on the
transept, west wall and apse, and also for the windows along the nave.

However those windows would have been paid for by all kinds of individuals
and groups--royalty, landowners, guilds--and the subjects of those windows
would reflect the concerns of the patrons as well.

My own book on stained glass is probably out of print.  (STAINED GLASS, L.
Lee, g. Seddon, F. Stephens, NY: Crown Publishers, 1976)  However, you could
consider giving a copy of the great classic by Henry Adams (1838-1918) on
Chartres (MONT ST. MICHEL and CHARTRES, available from Penguin Books in
paperback).  It still takes my breath away.

Moreover, if you are focused on iconography, why not go around the stained
glass thing and get him a book of Christian symbols.  There's always Hall's
A DICTIONARY OF SYMBOLS, which is all purpose, but I also have something
called SIGNS AND SYMBOLS IN CHRISTIAN ART which is just wonderful.  I forget
the author and right now the book is beyond my reach, but... Go to
Amazon.com and look at what they have there.  You might find something you
like better.  I have 5 or 6 such books at this point.  Each is differnet,
each gives me something the others don't.

This is no doubt not the answer you were looking for, but I hope it helps.

Ellen Cutler