Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 15:46:23 -0600
7bit
From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Indigo Night et all:

        It also bears noting that theory has provided numerous explanations of
the person represented in Leonardo's famed Mona Lisa.  Whether it is man
or woman, masculine or feminine, matters little.  Such are impositions
from without, not necessarily intentions from within.  Regardless, the
Mona Lisa has nothing whatsoever to do with the Brooklyn Museum of Art
and Rudy Guliani -- except to demonstrate "rhetorical skill" and muddy
the water.

        Objections to the photograph of Jesus as a nude woman are based on some
people's set notions -- based on theology (not theosophy).  The artists
is, seemingly, attempting to communicate a message about which everyone
but the artist is unclear.  The controversy continues because of to the
artist's silence on the matter -- rather than explain the message, she
(and the Brooklyn Museum of Art) hide behind the First Amendment which
is well within their legal rights . . . but wins little public support
beyond the "artistic community."
        Certainly, one may follow the logical argument set forth in "The
Intentional Fallacy" (1948) by Wimsatt & Beardsley: If the artist can
put their message into words, why would they produce artwork.  (W & B
write about poetry in their essay, but their argument is equally
applicable to painting, sculpture, photography, etc.)  After all, aren't
works of art -- whether conventional or subversive -- are intended to be
thought/theory made visible and tangible?
        However, the entire "art community" suffers a blow every time some
controversial artist doesn't take the opportunity to explain their
intentions.  At least talking to the media continues dialogue in the
public forum which is better than the dictatorial dialogue Guliani has
proposed (i.e., a panel to review standards).  So, I think everyone
should stop condemning close-minded politicians and start condemning
"close-mouthed" artists.

Sincerely,
Jay Heuman