From:
KATHLEEN HUTTON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:51:13 -0800
Janice Klein wrote:

> What do we really want our visitors to "learn"?
> How much does mis-information from docents matter?
>
> I have identified two things that I want every visitor to learn at this
> museum.
>
> I don't expect anyone to be able to be able to get a degree, pass a course or even write a paper based on the information provided by any
exhibit text,let alone from an enthusiastic, but not professionally
trained (e.g. with a college degree in the subject matter) docent.
I do hope that visitors will be excited by the museum and inspired to
learn more (from directed reading in our extensive library or elsewhere)
When I hear a docent share an interesting anecdote that may or may not be
exactly true, particularly about individual objects in the collection, I
am encouraged by the sense of personal enthusiasm the docent is
conveying.  Only when I hear a docent tell visitors something that is
wildly out of line do I know I need to do more training.
> [Begin the fireworks]
> Dear Janice:
        No fireworks from me, unless they are celebratory.  Thank you for
 your response to this thread.  I agree wholeheartedly.

        BTW our museum charges fairly low admission, has free days
several time a year, and passes are given out liberally.  Admission is
very helpful income, but it seems prudent to develop additional financial
resources (endowment funds, grants, annual giving etc.) so that your
institution is not so desperate for "numbers" and then can recognize
admission figures as "audience(s)".

Kathleen F. G. Hutton
Coordinator of Education
Reynolda House, Museum of American Art