From:
David Bobeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 09:18:56 -0500
HI
First of all, check to see if all or any of the guns in the collection are
legally considered antiques, curios or relics. If they are of historical
significance then it isn't entirely unlikely.

I quote:

"Federally Licensed Firearms Collectors
              A collector of curios or relics may obtain a collector's
license under the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Chapter 44 of Title 18, United
States Code) and the Federal firearms regulations, 27 CFR Part 178. The
privileges conferred by this license extend ONLY to curio or relic
transactions, as discussed in detail below. In transactions involving
firearms not classified as curios or relics, the licensed collector has the
same status as a non-licensee.
     A person need not be federally licensed to collect curios or relics.
However, the individual must be licensed in order to lawfully receive
curios or relics by shipment from outside his or her State of residence.
Federal law, regulations, and general information pertaining to licensed
collectors and curios or relics can be found in ATF Publication 5300.4,
"(Your Guide to) Federal Firearms Regulation." Record keeping requirements
for licensed collectors are discussed in detail in Part 178 of Title 27,
Code of Federal Regulations."

from: http://www.goags.com/~c-r-ffl/sec0.html
Browse through the different sections to see lists of firearms considered
curios, relics, or antiques.

     I have done quite a bit of research into the legality of firearms
ownership in my home state of Virginia. That information is available in
the Code of the Commonwealth on the Internet. I have not tried to look up
the United States Code but I would imagine it is also available on the web,
as was the code of Arlington County where I reside. The appropriate federal
chapters are listed in the above website.
I believe it is illegal to own a handgun in Washington DC although I
suspect this may not apply given the above paramters.

     As for the security and safe storage of firearms, you may get some
good ideas here: (although you may need to call and speak to someone for
more specific info)

http://www.nra.org/
http://www.shooters.com/

rgrds