From:
Brent Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 09:59:13 -0500
Hi Mike, greetings from Lincoln.

How do your visitors access the rooms?  If you remember in the Kennard House
we only have visual access from the doorways and a simple velvet rope across
the doorway suffices.  At some places we have talked about creating a
three-sided plexiglass/wooden frame system to allow people to get farther
into the room but still not be able to physically touch anything.

If your visitors actually enter the room and you simply want to limit the
traffic pattern you could try a low plexiglass barrier in a wooden base.
This would not need to be any more than 18-24 inches high, just enough to
let people know they can't cross it.  We use this in many of our exhibits at
the Museum of Nebraska History.

If you are looking for flexibility you could try the metal post and belt
system that companies like the Tamis Corporation offer.

Whichever solution you choose will be determined in part by the traffic
patterns of your visitors.

Good luck with your project and good luck at the Flagler!

Brent Carmack