From:
Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 09:36:38 +0100
On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Maggie Harrer wrote:

> One more questions,  is it possible, and/or perhaps desireable, to simply
> copy the web site onto the new .museum domain and thereby have it the same in
> both places??   It seems that web sites are most successful when you have as
> many avenues as possible to connect to it.
> If this seems too simplistic, please educate me, I'm not an expert on web
> sites obviously.

==================================

You don't need to do anything as complicated as this.  Very many web sites
have several (or even many) different addresses, all diverting into the
"home" site totally automatically. (Big sites like CNN use dozens of web
addresses, all of which end up in the same place.) It's just like using
both Post Box number and a traditional building, street, and city postal
address side by side for "snail mail".

I don't expect that any museum would actually give up an existing very
well known address (and those that are part of e.g. a government
organisation might well be required to retain their official web and
e-mail address as part of that organisation's overall corporate identity).
However, they could (and in my view should) want to have a second identity
as a "proxy" of this along the lines of "CityName.museum".

Patrick Boylan