From:
Alejandra Coghlan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:20:39 -0700
Hi List,

I'm almost finishing my thesis which has to do with
museology and museography: the first part is about the
evolution of the places for the exhibition of the
arts. At the second one is about buildings which
weren't built with a museological purpose but were
adapted or restored to have that function: the main
idea here are the museographical problems posed by
this kind of places. The example I'm going to give in
the thesis is a brand new contemporary art and design
gallery in Puebla, Mexico. This isn't a commericial
gallery, it belongs to the State and its purpose is to
present temporary exhibitions. I worked there as the
director since its opening and until last july (March
1999-July 2000). The gallery is housed in a 1910
textile factory in the oldest part of the city. It
poses a wide range of problems, such as no parking
places, difficult acces to the place because of the
narrow streets, etc. Some of them are museographical
such as: paved floors around the gallery which make it
difficult to load and unload the exhibitions, narrow
doors (2 meters wide and 2 1/2 meters height for a
place that measures 1100 m2 and is 6 meters high), a
12 meter wide wall that is untouchable because it's
protected by the INAH (Anthropology and History
National Institute which is in charge to protect old
buildings considered national heritage), and so on.
If anyone is familiar with this topic I would
appreciate their comments.

Alejandra Coghlan