From:
Sarah Wood-Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 15:57:01 -0500
Neil -

You might check the Museum Security Network at  www.museum-security.org.  there is information there on how to report stolen property to various lists on the web.

Sarah Wood-Clark
Museum Registrar
Kansas State Historical Society
6425 SW 6 Ave.
Topeka, KS  66615
(785)272-8681, ext. 407
Fax (785)272-8682
TTY (785)272-8683

>>> Neil Handley <[log in to unmask]> 10/05 5:51 AM >>>
Has anyone any experience of 'publicising' (so-to-speak) the theft of
objects from their collections (in our case three spyglasses and a pair of
opera glasses which we had loaned to another venue)? Are there any
shortcuts or cost-effective means of alerting international dealers etc.? I
am aware of various trace magazines etc. but the cost of advertising in
each might ultimately equal the value of any insurance money we received if
the objects were never to be recovered.

Neil Handley BA, MA
Curator, British Optical Association Museum

The College of Optometrists,
42 Craven Street, London WC2N 5NG
Tel: 020 7839 6000   Fax: 020 7839 6800
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
web-site: http://www.college-optometrists.org/college/museum

This message has been checked for all known viruses, by Star Internet,
delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre.
For further information visit:
http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp