From:
Jadran Kale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 10:18:11 +0200
Oct. 9, 2000 (Beta Agency, Belgrade): We expect that citizens return art
works which they were saving from the fire

Almost 150 art works disappeared

At the press conference held today in Narodni muzej (People's Museum) in
Belgrade it was declared that less then 60 paintings, sculptures, drawings
and engravings from the federal Parliament building are saved or returned,
out of the total of 206. The greater deal of the pieces saved was
considerably damaged during the demonstrations of Oct. 5th, curator
Radovan Piljak told us. Museum director Bojana Boric-Breskovic emphasized
that "this national institution is obliged to protect movable heritage
artifacts" and urged citizens to return the art works from the Parliament
building to Narodni muzej or the City Assembly  of Belgrade. There were
144 paintings, 14 drawings and engravings and 48 sculptures inside the
Parliament building. "We consider this as the act of saving from the fire
done by demonstrants and now we do expect to return it", said Kusovac.
Ljubica Miljkovic, curator, said that those master-pieces that were
exhibited in the Parliament could be stealed by "amateurs only" because it
is impossible to sell them. "We are mostly afraid of damages", said she.

The Internet source: http://www.izbori2000.net

Another art news: at Oct. 4 Hina news agency from Croatia reported that
Culture Minister of Croatia dr. Ante Vujic said in Vukovar that a Belgrade
reaction for an agreement about return of the art works stealed from
Croatia to Serbia during the 1990-1995 war in Croatia now could be
expected.

The Internet source: http://www.hina.hr

This translation is not the official one. Hope you will find it
interesting.

Sincerely,

Zupanijski muzej,  HR-22000 Sibenik
Croatia:385(0)22/213-880,fax213-355