From:
Pamela Feltus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 13:42:37 -0400
I like the salary announcements for a different reason than listed already.
Announcements are purposefully vague- expectations, job title, etc.- to catch candidates and abilities. The job duties can cover everyone from new to decades of experience.  Hopefully anyone who considers themselves in said job title can do them- such as a curator should be able to
research and write, a registrar to catalogue and manage loans, etc. The differences are in skill and experience. Job titles rarely change, especially in small museums. The years of experience always seem to be vague as well. It is normally only by seeing the salary that I can see
what the true level of experience and skill the museum is expecting, once the factors of geography and size are considered. With those adjustments, salary equals experience and there is a difference between a $18K and a $70K curator. I know where I fit in and if I see a job that is
way above or below what I know I deserve to be paid, then I know I am either over- or under-qualified for the position. Just another level of self-reflection when deciding to apply for a position.

Pamela Feltus
Historian
The History Factory