From:
"Richard S. White" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 14:18:10 -0700
Personally, I feel that topic to be really inappropriate for this discussion
list.  It is not a museum's place to take a stand for or against ANY group
of potential visitors.  Just as it would be wrong to take a stand that "Gay
persons will not be permitted in our museum", it would be equally wrong to
state "Boy Scout groups shall be denied the use of this museum because of
their position on xxxxx".

I also think posting the article is tantamount to stating a postion.
Personally, I think museums ought to let the tempest stir in the teapot, and
NOT try to make a tea ceremony out of it.

By the way, I am also opposed to a Museum, or someone as a museum
representitive, taking a position on any political matter.  There have been
several examples recently in our area, and at least one of the local Museums
has suffered significant loss of funding as a result.  We should report
facts, do good science, and let the chips fall where they may.

But that, of course, is just my opinion!

Rich White
International Wildlife Museum