From:
Jim Lyons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 19:00:55 -0700

"I am actually horrified by the thought that I could be the laughing stock of
the lunch hour because I asked for advice on how to pursue a job in the
museum field."

Don't you believe it, Christian.  As a former employer (not in the museum
field) I can tell you honestly if I ever heard someone doing that they
would immediately be called into my office for a serious - very serious -
dressing down.  I'm a pretty easy going guy, but just the thought of it
makes me bristle.

"When I asked my professors what they thought I should do they
told me that I should go to the *only* art museum in my city and ask for
advice.  However, when I called the museum they told me that no one there
could help."

Ah, see what you're saying?  The professors said to "go to the museum" and
you "called the museum".  I suggest you actually go to the museum and talk
to several people until you reach the ones that can help you.  It's easy to
say no to a nameless person on the phone, but infinitely harder to say no
to a person who is actually standing in front of you.  But remember, if one
person can't - or doesn't want to help you for whatever reason (being
overly busy an the moment comes to mind) - go on to another person.  And
another.  Don't give up until you run out of museum people, both staff and
volunteers.  If you don't find one or two people willing to sit down a few
minutes with you I'll be sorely disappointed in that museum.

"Finally, without much direction, I applied for several jobs and
was not called in for an interview.  Shortly thereafter, I found the MUSEUM-L
list and asked for advice.  The advice that I was offered here was extremely
helpful and has been put to good use.  When you say that you did not have
the luxury of using the internet to find a job (or to get help with a thesis
topic) it implies that you hold it against those who do have the luxury of
using it.  Should we deny ourselves these things because others did not have
the use of them?"

You would be ten kinds of a fool not to take advantage of new technology if
it will help you.  As I understand it, there are some 2300 people on this
newsgroup.  There's bound to be the occasional one who is jealous or bitter
by not having the Internet in their day.  That's their problem, you had
nothing to do with it.  Ignore them.  For me, my working career lasted
forty years, five months and three days (I counted them), 1957-1997.  My
exposure to the Internet amounted to 3% of that time, and I really wish it
was 97% instead.  But I don't resent you for using the Internet, I envy
you.  You bet I'd take advantage of it were it possible for me to start
over.

"Finally, I would like to say that this has been a very educational
discussion.  I love the MUSEUM-L list and I will continue to watch the
debates and discussions.  However, I think this will be the last message
that I will post for a very long time--at least until I have a full time job
and can contribute to the "answer" postings instead of the "question"
postings.
C. Trabue

This is the Museum-L FAQ mission statement:
"Museum-L is a general purpose, cross-disciplinary electronic discussion
list for museum professionals, students, and all others interested in
museum related issues. All museum related topics are acceptable for posting
and discussion at this time. Membership in Museum-L is open to anyone with
e-mail service."

It's meant for you and me, Christian, at the opposite ends of the career
spectrum.  And from everyone in between.  Don't let the people who, to put
it kindly, are having a bad day spoil it for you.  That's giving them more
power than they deserve.  (And I truly believe if they thought that what
they had said had kept you from asking more questions of the group, they
would feel terrible.)

Let me talk about myself for a moment.  Why would a guy who never worked in
a museum in his life until he retired want to be in this newsgroup?  One
reason, of course, is that I want to learn from others.  But perhaps an
even greater reason is that, for me, it's payback time.  Back in the '50s
and '60s - and later - a lot of people helped me as I struggled to make my
way in the job arena.  Most of these were people I could never pay back.
Now it's my turn to help people just starting out or those who haven't had
some of the experiences I've had.  I hardly imagine I'm the only person on
this list who feels this way; is fact, I know I'm not.  Read some of the
posts and you'll see a lot of people are glad - no, anxious - to help if
they can.  Sure, you're going to hear from some people with an axe to
grind, but they're in the minority and you can't let them get you down.
Concentrate instead on the people who relish the chance to pay back some of
the help they received when younger.  Don't deny them and me the chance to
do it.  Your time to help out will come sooner than you think.  When it
does, you'll do it, and you'll enjoy doing it.  In the meantime, continue
to ask questions.

-Jim
Oct 13, 2000

-Jim Lyons