From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 15:39:33 -0500
Greetings!

I'll contribute my two cents . . .

I have a BA in Visual Arts (Art History) and an MA in Art History.  I see
the "making" of art and the "doing" of art history as relying upon slightly
different -- but overlapping and, dare I say, complimentary -- skill sets.
Many artists have enjoyed the study of art history and theory -- the
minimalist Donald Judd, the painter/designer Josef Albers and countless
before them!  Likewise, there have been art historians (or art writers,
shall we say?) involved in the making of art.  There are no lines that
separate the two . . . just closed minds.  The notion of the superiority of
one over the other is ludicrous, indicative of personal insecurity . . .

Yours truly,

Jay Heuman
Visitor & Volunteer Services Coordinator
Joslyn Art Museum http://www.joslyn.org
2200 Dodge Street
Omaha, NE     68102
Phone: 402-342-3300, ext. 298