From:
Lee Appleyard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 17:16:28 +0100
Make a possible list of subjects for a thesis/dissertation? Surely, you must
be joking. Let's get a grip here, folks, it's not as if you are in your
first year of university and are a wet-behind-the-ears, naive freshman being
asked to write a major paper on which you know nothing.

I'm a former science educator who, to be perfectly honest, is appalled at
the lack of initiative being shown by some of the graduate students of this
list and by many students in general. I too had to write a thesis (with a
one year long research project and a formal oral presentation to boot
coupled with that thesis) as part of my degree qualifications. My advisor
was there to do just that: advise me, not hand me a list of research topics
on a silver platter. I've been in the teaching profession for 14 years, and
all too many times, I have seen or heard of students like several of those
here, wanting to have the ideas planted in their heads. What ever happened
to the initiative of doing the work yourself? Is there no longer any
creativity among students? I have seen way too much of the attitude that the
world owes people everything, but we need not do anything in return. Surely,
if you have been at university for four + years, you already know what
topics interest you. It's all so very simply, gang, you choose a
dissertation topic that interests you. No ideas? Then all is in a sad state
of affairs. I can see if you already have your topic and would like to
bounce some ideas around, that's what brainstorming is all about. It is NOT
about writing to ask for topic ideas or suggesting that a list be made
available to you. Whether or not you're aware, your colleges and
universities keep theses and disserations on file and made avaible to
students such as yourselves. They're at your libraries and within your
departments. You make your start there to see what has already been done.
Sit down with a notepad and pen, or ok, your computer, and make a list of
what interests you within your discipline. Check out the materials at your
library to make certain there is enough information to insure that you can
in fact carry out your study. Talk with your advsior, who will certainly be
able to tell you if your idea holds any water. Yes, meeting with advisors
can be difficult to schedule, but you have to remember, they're people too
and have a heavy load of lectures as well as meetings with you. But don't
tell me that they're unwilling to give you the advice you seek. Don't expect
them to post a list of research topics on their doors.

So, at the risk of offending a number of people - and I'm sure this
undoubtedly will - stop your incessant moaning and get off your backsides
and get your work done. Stop this ridiculous request for help as you call
it - it's nothing but a cop out! Ask us what we think. Bounce your ideas
around, and we will be more than happy to help. But, don't expect us to TELL
you what to write. Find what stuff turns you on and NOT what you think we
want to read. There's nothing more sad than targeting to what you think
others want to hear or read, or you do like enjoy being conformists? Stop
jumping on the bandwagon and do your own thing. Are you a mover and a shaker
or a mere follower of the pack?

Lee Appleyard

> [...]
> >to start the process.  All too often advisors are
> >difficult to consult with.  Why not ask the group of
> >people, who collectively have a knowledge better than
> >a library, about the next steps to take.  I dont
> >expect Jennifer is writing her paper from our
> >suggestions.  Instead she hears about a topic "NAGPRA
> >policy and musuems" and goes off to find out about all
> >the books on NAGPRA. Suddenly she is vaulted to a
> >discussion on museums and native americans and her
> >thesis topic is only tangently associated with what we
> >discussed.
> >
> >Us folks in the Masters programs are intellegent
> >people.  We aren't asking for the world from you.  We
> >are asking for a bit of help.  My last job was found
> >through a discussion group like this one.  I put out
> >my name, said HI! and asked if anyone knew of any
> >jobs.  I had looked at all the other listings.  Most
> >of them said "masters and 5 years required" when I had
> >a bachelors and SQUAT for experience beyond an
> >internship.  But on that list someone said "well we
> >are looking for a program assistant, would you be
> >interested" and suddenly I am in the best job of my
> >life.  They knew because they found me online, that I
> >knew how computers work.  That meant they could ask me
> >computer questions, something they were dying to know.
> >
> >Instead what those of you who push us away are doing
> >is saying "leave us alone, go find your own job, but
> >not mine" or "my ideas are my own, not yours, so go
> >find someone else to bug"  I can get that kind of
> >treatment in my own library or bookstore.  Instead I
> >hope to come here in search of people who helped me
> >find places like the Pink Palace in Memphis or
> >Cheekwood in Nashville, places that will (hopefully)
> >someday lead me in directions I need to go with course
> >work.
> >
> >Dont get too full of yourselves by thinking that you
> >are the first person we come to.  Far from it often
> >times.
> >
> >Thank for listening, I hope I dont alienate my future
> >boss, and please remember we are just trying to make
> >it in the same world you are.
> >
> >Aaron
> >
> >=====
> >Aaron Marcavitch
> >www.aaronmarcavitch.com
> >
> >(current) M.A. in Public History
> >Middle Tennessee State University

> >Yahoo! Photos - 35mm Quality Prints, Now Get 15 Free!
> >http://photos.yahoo.com/

> >Important Subscriber Information:
> >
> >The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> >http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may obtain detailed
> >information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-mail
> >message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should
> >read "help" (without the quotes).
> >
> >If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message to
> >[log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read
"Signoff