From:
Kristin Solias <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 08:33:31 -0400
I used the San Francisco Art Museums database to check out their John
Frederick Lewis watercolours for a recent conference paper.  Even at the
Yale Center for British Art (library) I had not been able to find all
those images.  It allowed me to expand the paper in a way I could not
have through books or local collections; and living on the East Coast,
San Francisco is quite a hike.  If I were to pursue the topic, I would
probably make a trip out there, but for my purposes, being able to
access the images on the web was perfect.

I often also search for specific images for a class I teach at a local
college.  I link the images to the course web site for study purposes
and to direct the students to sites where they can find more information
about those pieces.

Kristin Solias
Somerville Arts Council
(adjunct faculty, Hellenic College)