Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 11:51:49 -0700
Concepts the group may have yet to embrace:

o  Youthful exuberance.  God bless it!  We need more
and not the stodgy old fogeys we rued in our youth and
are fast becoming.

o  Disguised flattery.  Who better to ask about a
thesis topic than this very audience, most all of
which had to undergo the thesis process at least once
if not many times over judging from the pedigrees
displayed.  It's the old idea of going to the elders,
the experts, the wise ones for advice.  Only the wise
ones are appearing not quite so, and the elders appear
to be acting, in some respects, as curmudgeons.

o  A desire to be part of the group by announcing
one's needs and ambitions and doing it in the form of
asking for help.

Not everyone of us was all that wise when we were in
college.  We may have gotten there (in some fashion)
through age, experience, and the old hard knocks
concept.  Has it been THAT long ago that we've
forgotten what it's like?

And today's youth have something we could only wish we
had--the internet--as a vehicle of connecting with a
marvelous conglomeration of potential peers.

While I personally take exception to jumping into the
middle of the conversation and saying I need a job,
without lurking and studying what goes here and what
has gone before--comes across as pretty pushy and just
using the group rather than embracing it, but I know
there are others here who find no fault with that--I
don't see anything wrong with a college student going
to the well of knowledge and hoping to draw up a
fountain of information.

Perhaps the approach was a tad naive, maybe the style
is different than one would otherwise hope for, but
this list's castigation of one another is just kind of
giving my breakfast a hard time in settling.  I don't
like it when my tummy gurgles as a result of
dissension.

I don't recall the name of the original requestor.
I'm not going to look the person up.  I'm just going
to say--on behalf of myself--that I'm sorry we are
being less than kind.

Perhaps there's another subtle lesson here you can
pick up on--well, actually, two.

1.  Framing is everything.  Learn to carefully frame
your request in the future for the audience at hand.
This is definitely (and blissfully on many days,
though perhaps not today) a WONDERFUL crowd of very
intelligent and capable, but incredibly busy people.
When in Rome . . . hace como los Romanos.

2.  Remember this lesson, and please rise above it
after we old crusties are gone so that it isn't
repeated to subsequent generations.

Welcome aboard, Dear Heart.  You've come to a great
place from which you can learn--and perhaps, by your
exuberance, teach!

--- Lee Appleyard <[log in to unmask]>

=====
Indigo Nights