From:
"Ciotola, Nicholas P." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 10:30:39 -0400
Re: Artifact Literature

Curt,

Have you seen:

Gaynor Kavanagh, History Curatorship (Washington, DC: Smithsonian
Institution, 1990) or Susan M. Pearce, On Collecting (New York: Routledge,
1995).  Written from the European perspective, they are particularly helpful
in providing theoretical and methodological guidelines for collecting.

Otehr useful texts on artifacts (many you have seen already) are:
Edith Mayo, American Material Culture (Bowling Green: BGSU Popular Press,
1984); Thomas Schlereth,ed., Material Culture: A Research Guide (University
press of Kansas, 1985) -- contains a good bibliogrraphic essay on extant
material culture works; Simon Bronner,ed., American Material Culture and
Folklife: A Prologue and Dialogue (UMI Research Press, 1985); David Kyvig
and Myron Marty, Nearby History (Nashville: AASLH, 1982); Steven Lubar and
W. David Kingery, History From THings: Essays on Material Culture
(Washington: Smithsonian, 1993).

Nicholas P. Ciotola
Curator, Italian American Collection
Senator John Heinz Pittsburgh Regional History Center

PS: The MAAM meeting is in Harrisburg this year.  Let's try and get
together.