From:
Ryo Yasui <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 06:41:09 -0400
Hello from a cool GOOD EVENING with lovely chirpings of the bugs from the
Tokyo bushes !

I wonder some kind colleague could generously forward me with information
about non-commercial distributors on the web who offer FREE sound AU clip
files of various insects and creatures (....except humans, cats and dogs!),
please.

Recently a friend who lives in the US sent me a file of a tree frog for
fun. Though she forgot to attach an image to this AU file, the short but
lovely chirping sound of this creature allows me to imagine how this frog
(or toad) looks like. It could be a pretty and small, or it might be ugly
and huge! In spite of my asking her to send the image, she might forget to
do so for ever. Well it is okay.

While a lot of sighted people are accustomed to the images on the computer
screen, perhaps we can look into the potential use of these sound clips as
educational media which can stir up our imaginations for everybody
including the blind and partially sighted individuals. For instance, radio
drama can be more fun and imaginative than watching TV dramas. Presentation
of sound clips of bugs without images can also become an imaginative
educational tool for us just like radio dramas.

I hope to hear good news from somebody about this in the near future.

Very truly yours,

Ryo

YASUI R. (Mr.)
Lecturer in Museum Studies