From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 08:36:52 -0600
Hi  All,

I am posting this announcement on Museum-L for my institution:
For Release:  Immediately
Contact:  Lori Mellon 303-733-2712
Meghan Beatty:  303-871-2781

CONSERVATION FACILITY ADOPTS NEW NAME, APPOINTS ADVISORY BOARD

DENVER –The Rocky Mountain Conservation Center changed its name to the Art Conservation Center at the University of Denver (ACC@DU) July 1.  The Art Conservation Center is adopting the new name to help clients and the public better understand its mission.  Board President Mary Ebrahimi noted, “Many people associate the word
‘conservation’ with nature and ecology, and we want everyone to know that our mission is the care and preservation of art and cultural heritage objects.”

The Art Conservation Center at the University of Denver has elected a new slate of officers, whose terms are effective July 1.  D. Todd Gray, Corporate Sponsorship Manager for the Denver Museum of Natural History, will serve as President.  W. Scott Coors, Vice-President, is Director of Product Damage Prevention at the Coors
Brewing Company.  Ron Judish, owner of Ron Judish Fine Arts, will serve as Secretary.  Other members are G. E. Bergeron, Cynthia Dee Buchanan, Dr. Jack Chang, Mary Ebrahimi, Vicki Hamilton Myhren, Ramona Rosenkrans, and Lisa Williams.  The Advisory Board assists ACC@DU with marketing, fund raising, planning, and education
initiatives.

The Art Conservation Center at the University of Denver is a regional conservation facility dedicated to preserving our shared cultural heritage.  ACC@DU has served museums, historical societies, and the public for twenty-three years.  The Art Conservation Center offers professional conservation care and educational programs
related to paintings, photographs, works of art on paper, documents, maps, textiles, and archaeological, ethnographic, historical, and fine art objects.

Conservation, a science-based discipline, preserves the man-made material remains of the past.  It extends the life of a work of art or an artifact, recovers and preserves information about how it was made and used, and treats the sources, rather than the symptoms, of deterioration.  The goal of archaeological or ethnographic
conservation is to preserve what remains of an artifact, and not necessarily to make it look as it did when first created.  Fine arts conservation strives to recover as much of the original work as possible without compromising the artist's intent, and to stabilize the work and return it to an aesthetically pleasing state.

Art Conservation Center at the University of Denver
Telephone: 303.733.2712
Fax: 303.733.2508
Website: http://www.du.edu/accdu
Hours: 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., M-F
Departments: Paintings, Paper/Photographs, Textiles, Objects

David Harvey
Conservator of Objects
The Art Conservation Center at the University of Denver
2420 S. University Blvd.
Denver, C0  80208
303-733-2712