From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 09:16:56 -0500
Hi Michelle, David et al.:

David E. Haberstich wrote:

> Perhaps I'm just not being very imaginative at the late hour
> in which I'm writing this, but I'm imagining juxtapositions
> such as: GOOD--Big enough, vs. BAD--Too big, or
> GOOD--Small enough, vs. BAD--Too small.  And then of
> course, there's always: GOOD--Exciting and compelling, vs.
> BAD--Dull.  And don't forget: GOOD--Within budget, and
> BAD--Over budget.

        I think David hit the nail on the head: There are too
many variables in what makes a 'successful' exhibition.  (In
fact, there are a myriad of opinions concerning what
'successful' means!)
        There is an additional criterion David could have
mentioned -- and he might have left out because it is
obvious:
        LUCK!  We all know that some exhibitions just have
a temporal appeal.  They open, or extend through, a slow
time for other institutions . . . so your museum might
become the 'ground zero' of entertainment!  Or, there
might be a competing museum/venue that blows your
exhibition right out of the water.
        And, visitors can make all the difference.  Here, at
Joslyn Art Museum, a recent exhibition of glass by Dale
Chihuly (Feb 12 - June 4) carried an estimate for 70,000
to 80,000 visitors during the 16 week run of the
exhibition.  BUT word of mouth (and our Free Saturday
10 AM to 12 PM) brought in 162,000 visitors from 44
states and five countries!
        So, draw up a list of criteria if you enjoy the
ever-changing puzzle.  Good luck!  <I couldn't help
throwing that in!>

Yours truly,

Jay Heuman, Visitor & Volunteer Services Coordinator
Joslyn Art Museum http://www.joslyn.org
2200 Dodge Street, Omaha, NE, 68102
Phone: 402-342-3300, ext. 298
Fax: 402-342-2376