From:
William Maurer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 12:31:00 -0400
We don't have "velvet" ropes and have child (and adult) proofed the house
pretty well. I always get a kick out of the adults who are advised at the
beginning of the tour that the objects are old and fragile and please don't
touch, to see some adult pick up an object and say, "I'm not touching it
really, I just want to show it to my wife!"

When children are on a tour with adults, I ask everyone to please not touch
and ask the kids to tell me if they see any adults touching stuff. Of
course, this is in front of everyone and the kids police the adults pretty
well. And we make the tour enjoyable to all.

The secret, I think, is to teach the children (and adults) without their
realizing they are being taught and when they thought they were just having
fun!

Maybe the next "string" should be, "What do WE really think of our
visitors?"  I know some site directors who would put a dome over the house
and only let friends "in freqently" - one or two words?

C.F.William Maurer
Director, Gomez Mill House
11 Mill House Road
Marlboro, NY 12542