From:
Tim McShane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 21:09:42 -0500
Amy:

This is just my two cents worth, but most of the work search references I've
consulted say to avoid mentioning salary expectations as much as possible.
The employer knows what they're prepared to pay, and chances are they're
just asking for salary expectations as a way to screen out candidates.  If
you're fairly confident that the job will pay a salary you can live on, and
the work is what's important to you, rather that the money, why give them a
chance to regard you as overqualified/underqualified based on your salary
expectation? (and yes, from what I gather, it can be just as dangerous to
ask for too low a salary as too high).  Instead, suggest that this is not
the time to begin salary discussions; let them see what you have to offer
(and see what they can offer you) through the interview.  If they're
interested in you after the interview, and you still want to work for them,
then that's the time to talk dollars.  Plus, once you know they're
interested in you, you're in a better bargaining position.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

Tim McShane, Collections Manager
West Parry Sound District Museum