From:
Susan Leser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 11:48:39 -0700
I have been a (silent) member of this listserv for almost a year.  This
topic has compelled me to add my two cents.  I am also a Chicagoan who has
been a part of the museum field for almost 9 years.  The salary for the
entry-level educator position from the original post is on par with that of
most Chicago institutions.  I am currently a manager, yet I only make a few
grand more than that.  I have inquired or interviewed at several museums in
the US and the typical salary range for an educator appears to be somewhere
between 18-24K, regardless of experience, education, etc.  If one feels that
the salary offered is much too low, one can always hope to negotiate.  If
that is not possible, you must either decline the offer or rework your
budget.  As many have mentioned in past posts, one should have an idea of
what the median salary is for the position for which you are applying (in
your geographic area) and realize that an institution looks at many factors
before determining a salary range for a position.
In addition, for those of you that had posted reply's stating that the
salary was too low (to Kenya's inquiry), could you be so kind as to post
what your institution pays it's own educators?  For those in a position to
set a fair salary range, one needs to know what like institutions pay to
stay competitive.  It would be nice if every employer (non-profit or
otherwise) would calculate the cost of living, loan repayments, savings,
etc. for their candidates but we all know this is not realistic.