From:
Trevor Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 10:26:19 +0100
Two thoughts occur to me.

You could introduce a parking charge for coaches (perhaps only for parking from 4:30pm).

You could introduce a policy of only admitting pre-booked tour parties.  This has a number of advantages, you can ensure that you never get overcrowded by having 3 coaches turn up at the same time.  For regular tour companies you can (as we do) set up an account facility and the tour leader can complete & sign a voucher at your admissions desk - you can then invoice the company for all their tours that week/month (tour companies like this - they can include admission in the price they charge their customers, their employees don't have to carry cash and their accounts department gets proper invoices). You can always let the odd un-booked party in as an exception - explaining that they need to pre-book in future.

Trevor Reynolds
Collections Registrar, English Heritage
Room G01, 23 Savile Row, London, W1X 1AB, UK
tel: +44 (0)20 7973 3482 fax: +44 (0)20 7973 3001 (GTN  3503 3482)

>>> John Gavin <[log in to unmask]> 07/10 8:15 pm >>>
A tour bus company shows up at the museum door at 4:30 on Wednesdays. We
close at 5:00 and stop charging admisssion at 4:30. The bus unloads and the
tourists file in to use our restroom facilities. The tour bus operator has
told them that we do not charge after 4:30 and also tells them not to buy
in our giftshop because it is too expensive. We have talked to them about
paying, and we would stay open an extra hour. Of course their idea is to
come in for free so that is not an option! Any ideas? Thanks.

This e-mail is intended solely for the above-mentioned recipient
and it may contain confidential or privileged information. If you
have received it in error, please notify us immediately and delete
the e-mail. You must not copy, distribute, disclose or take any
action in reliance on it.

English Heritage
Telephone 020 7973 3000
Facsimile 020 7973 3001