From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 09:26:17 -0500
Hello Kenya:

You wrote:
> We pay her $22,900 a year and great benefits including very
> comprehensive medical, dental and vision, as well as 16
> vacation days,10 sick days and every holiday.
> She is looking for more cash, claims she cannot live in the
> Mid-Atlantic urban area (not DC) for that amount.
> Do you think she is right, and if so, what is the right wage?

Keeping track of the cost of living index, a fair comparison of the Midwest
to the Mid-Atlantic indicates a 1:1.25 salary ratio.  So, I'd suggest she
could be better paid by $5,000 - $6,000 to be in line with entry-level
positions in the Midwest.

Much depends, however, on the budget and visitorship of your museum.  As a
small museum, there simply may not be enough money to go around.  In that
case, she'll have to look elsewhere if more money is her goal.  You might
consider asking her for her idea of an acceptable salary.  In this way,
there may be room for negotiation.  Or, you might consider offering that she
work only 4 days per week for the same salary.  In this way, she could
pursue work on the side as long as it does not interfere with her duties at
your museum.

Hope this helps.

Yours truly,

     Jay Heuman
     Visitor & Volunteer Services Coordinator
     Joslyn Art Museum
     2200 Dodge Street
     Omaha, NE     68102
     Phone: 402-342-3300, ext. 298