From:
Jennifer Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 18:22:07 EDT
Speaking as a fellow grad student, I have found it very useful to learn as
many programs as possible so as not to limit your availability for jobs. So
far I've learned Access, FileMaker Pro, Argus and Star. Access & FileMaker
Pro are simply useful database management programs that anyone can use (and
learn to use in a matter of hours). Both are great programs for smaller
organizations and can manage all sorts of information, depending on what you
need, and are great for printing mailing labels, form letters, etc. Argus and
Star are more museum specific programs. Though I've never worked at a museum
that has used these, I have heard their name come up and so I went ahead and
learned them.

In this age of technology, I figure any program (or piece of technology) you
learn to use simply makes you that much more marketable. That pretty much
goes for any field you are planning on going into, not just museums. Many of
the programs have trial version you can get for fairly cheap, or you can buy
books to learn how to use them. Here's a Canadian site that has links to many
of the programs:

 <A
HREF="http://www.chin.gc.ca/Resources/Collect_Mgnt/Upgrades/e_upgrades.html">C
HIN - CMSER - Product upgrades / New products</A>

Jennifer Holt