From:
Bridget Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 May 2000 09:03:39 -0500
To Stephanie DeVries>>>>

I didn't see your direct email..but hope this will help...other folks may
have other suggestions ...

Thompson-Markwood Hall
235 Second Street N.E.
Washington, D.C. 20002
(202) 546-3255
Union Station Metro
Housing available year round, Females only
a/c, breakfast and dinner included, phone, 1 intern/room

It is on 2nd street right across from the Senate Building...1/2 block from
Capitol and 11/2 blocks from Union Station...trains and metro...
so good access...I walked right down to work at the NMNH while there or took
the bus.
I was there in 1987 so I'm sure the cost is higher now...but was a place
that Eleanor Roosevelt established for single working women in DC...nice old
3 story building...and usually interesting group of gals there...most are
interns some place or new lawyers etc working for govt--one was doing a
clerkship for supreme ct. justice with John Kennedy Jr...so there was a
daily John-John alert when he road by on his bike! LOL  They let you live
there for 3 months or maybe a bit more but time to get a full-time place to
live.  When I was there you had to be under 35 to live there but don't know
if they still have that rule.
Anyway it was $100 a week (I'm sure it will be more now) and that included
Breakfast and Dinner M-F...and usually two or three meals on
Weekends...seems like there was a skip on Sunday but I don't remember for
sure...good food variety...it was like a
dorm...open living areas, but private rooms and dorm (big ol')
bathrooms...lots of showers, toilets, sinks etc...not a bad place for a
while but not something you'd want permanent...but gives a person time to
look around.  Oh they did linen service, and had washers/dryers for your
personal clothing and stuff...there was on street parking only, and you had
to get a DC permit to park there, but if staying in DC don't really need a
car, I only used mine to go out of town.
Great area for visiting lots of places, but you don't want to walk around by
yourself at night there (or anyplace in DC actually).
Hope this helps!
Bridget Jones
Sam Rayburn House Museum