From:
John Awald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 14:22:52 -0600
Mummies -- the Arizona State Museum has a mummy head cataloged as the head
of Ramses when he was young (I imagine mummies could regrow body parts).

Dogs -- the Agricultural Heritage Museum (http://www.agmuseum.com) has a
metal dog collar with 2" nails welded to it.  Evidentally the dog's master
didn't like the neighbor dogs grabbing his dog by the neck.

Eating utensils -- the Ag museum also has a fork-knife combination, kind of
an "L" shaped object with the cutting edge on the curved right angle of the
L and the fork built into the end of the L.  It was used by a farmer who
lost his hand in a harvest accident.  Both dog collar and fork-kinfe are on
exhibit at the Cultural Heritage Center in Pierre, SD.

Turkey Glasses -- we (agmuseum again) have rose colored "sunglasses" used by
turkey farmers.  It keeps the turkeys (chickens too) from pecking at each
other.  The red color evidentally disguises the "comb" on chickens.  Instead
of "arms" over their ears they are held on with a cotterpin thru the beak.

Coolest exhibit -- the "through a microscope" dioramas at the Buffalo Museum
of Science.  These are about 4' in diameter circular exhibits that have
blown glass microscopic creatures in them -- I think German in
manufacture -- and so beautiful (now so expensive) I have never seen
anything quite like them before or since.

John Awald
Ag Heritage Museum
South Dakota State University