From:
James Tichgelaar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 08:06:57 -0600
As a child, I was able to take a chemistry class at the Oregon Museum of
Science & Industry (the wonderful old Washington Park building), and two
of the highlights were the walk-through heart and the three-story
pendulum.  Did those heart exhibits have some hypnotic effect that
turned repeat visitors into museum professionals?  As an adult, my first
close encounter with a Cezenne painting at the Seattle Art Museum was a
great thrill! I had seen photos of this particular still life
(strawberries in a bowl on a checked table cloth) that made no
impression.  But up close in a museum, the thick impasto of the berries
contrasted with the flat field of the table made them come to life.  My
wife & I had to rush out and find strawberries!

As for the pendulum in DC, could it not be used as an exhibit on the
history of the museum?  If it made such an impact on a large number of
visitors, it deserves a place, and could be interpreted to fit the
revised mission without any trouble.  It is important to the museum, to
American history of science & technology, and to the public.

--
James H Tichgelaar
Registrar, Arkansas State University Museum

"All we ever wanted was everything.  All we ever got was cold."