From:
Harold Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 08:47:16 -0500
As is usually the case, it's difficult to add much that's useful to a
Patrick Boylan response!!!

I am entirely in agreement with him, especially as regards science centres,
which so often feature the same bright little playstations (I very much
doubt that users learn much from them) whether you are in London or Bendigo.

"Where's Bendigo?" you ask. Some miles up the Yarra River from Melbourne;
pretty little town with a dreadful little science centre.

Indeed, I have heard that all these science centre modules are manufactured
by a company in Wales, which would go a long way to explain their relative
uniformity.

 I have personally neither seen nor heard of any cases of direct copying of
exhibits or texts. Were such copying to occur, the remedies suggested by
Patrick would/could be applied.

But I would argue for MORE of, if not copying, at least the adaptation and
application of good ideas from elsewhere.

When we visit other museums, we in the heritage field spend a great deal of
time looking critically at each other's institutions, but relatively few
seem to apply the good ideas they have discovered elsewhere to their own
institutions. We are better at sneering than using. This seems particularly
true of those of us in North America.

We mostly seem to be the last of the rugged individualists, quite happy to
keep on producing one mediocre exhibition or program after another, almost
always without ever looking at our visitors, how they feel and what they
want.

By contrast, the Australians are particularly adept at utilizing other
people's good ideas, as well, of course, their own. They roam the world,
looking for the best ideas they can find, then synthesize these into a
uniquely Strine approach, which varies widely across institutions. It isn't
copying; it is the application of "best practices". We in North America
could learn from the Aussies and I suspect this may be true of our
colleagues elsewhere.

I really don't see much copying but, by God, we need more adaptation of
other people's good ideas!!!

Harry