From:
Pamela Sezgin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 22:29:31 EST
I think there is a very fine pamphlet produced by the Canadian Museum
Association.
Perhaps someone on the list remembers it.  I ordered it probably 7 years ago
and left it at a previous museum job.   It had pictures and solutions.

Another place to check is your county extension agent.  In the South, these
agents
are sort of farmers' helpers.  They often have free pamphlets that identify
local pests and provide control options (some of which may not be appropriate
for museums, but at least you can identify the criters and get an idea about
their food sources).  In the United States, your state department of
agriculture can be helpful with this sort of pamphlet, too.    My father was
a city health offical at one time and he used to collect those pamphlets.  I
was grossed out by the graphic pictures of insect life in them as a child but
have found them very useful in recent years!

Don't malign the lady bug!   I once had an ethnobotany garden in the
courtyard of one museum where I worked, a historic school.   The garden was
completely organic and our friends the lady bugs ate aphids and other
troublesome pests.   They were great helpers in the garden.

pamela sezgin
georgia mountains history museum
gainesville, georgia