From:
"r.a.callahan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 20:57:02 -0600
I am the new curator at a small art and local history museum.  This is
my first job since getting my degree and I am still trying to find the
best path to take when it comes to the collection.  For the past 25
years, my position had been staffed by volunteers or part timers who had
little or no museum background.  Their hearts were in the right place
but they did not always do the right thing for the objects in their
care.  I am dealing with the results of their actions today.

In the process of doing a full inventory (it's been a year and I am
still not through!), I have run across a question that I am not sure
about.  What is the current opinion on cleaning and repairing clothing
in a collection?   I am presently working on the room that holds
clothing, hats, and shoes.  There is great stuff in there (also some
rags!) but some of it is dusty, dirty, and/or needs repair.  Up to now,
the opinion of the past volunteers and curators was to leave it as is.
If a hem or strap had pulled out, they would just pin it up for the
exhibit.  That doesn't make sense to me because it seems that repairing
the problem would be less invasive in the long run than repeated
pinning.  Many pieces are dusty due to poor storage methods.

Also, the storage containers are not the best (but that I am changing
with this next budget meeting!).  I was horrified to find almost all of
the clothing had been folded up and put into small plastic drawers,
where they probably spent years.  There were floor length long sleeve
velvet dresses stuffed into containers no bigger than 11 x 15.  As I
took them out and put them into larger textile boxes, I found most of
them wrinkled and creased.  All of the velvet dresses look horrible,
even though they are in excellent shape otherwise.  I would be
embarrassed to put these items in this condition on exhibit.

What are my options?  Is there a book that might address these points?

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Ruth Callahan
Curator of Collections